Steve Loeb is the owner of L & L Music · Wind Shop, Inc., and repairs all band instruments. Here are a few questions we asked him about how he got started.
1. What instrument(s) did you start playing and when?
I started playing flute in 5th grade and added oboe in 10th grade.
2. What did you want to do before deciding to repair instruments?
In 7th grade I decided to be a music teacher and designed my middle & high school schedule around music. After college I didn’t want to be a teacher anymore and chose musical instrument repair.
3. How did you learn instrument repair?
I went to Eastern School of Musical Instrument Repair which was in New Jersey.
4. What part of instrument repair do you like most?
Fabricating new & different ways to play an instrument, whether replicating a new part or modifying an existing one.
5. Outside of music, what other hobbies do you enjoy?
I used to bicycle, but now I mostly play the 4 common computer card games: Solitaire, Spider Solitaire (4 suits), Minesweeper (Advanced in less than 3 minutes), and Freecell.