We would like to welcome him to our team of repair technicians.
Gary came to work for us in August 2014 after moving to the area from Charleston, South Carolina. Primarily a bass player (double and electric), he has 30 years’ on the job experience repairing all brass and woodwind instruments. After starting at the age of 14 years old in a Los Angeles repair shop, Gary grew into repairing musical instruments and has been doing it ever since. After high school he attended Musicians Institute in Hollywood, California. After earning his degree, he remained in California repairing at high end repair shops and playing bass professionally. He enjoys working on flutes, especially professional models. When he is not repairing or playing, Gary’s hobbies include baseball and travel.
Share this email
Steve Loeb is the owner of L & L Music · Wind Shop, Inc., and repairs all band instruments. Here are a few questions we asked him about how he got started.
1. What instrument(s) did you start playing and when?
I started playing flute in 5th grade and added oboe in 10th grade.
2. What did you want to do before deciding to repair instruments?
In 7th grade I decided to be a music teacher and designed my middle & high school schedule around music. After college I didn’t want to be a teacher anymore and chose musical instrument repair.
3. How did you learn instrument repair?
I went to Eastern School of Musical Instrument Repair which was in New Jersey.
4. What part of instrument repair do you like most?
Fabricating new & different ways to play an instrument, whether replicating a new part or modifying an existing one.
5. Outside of music, what other hobbies do you enjoy?
I used to bicycle, but now I mostly play the 4 common computer card games: Solitaire, Spider Solitaire (4 suits), Minesweeper (Advanced in less than 3 minutes), and Freecell.
Diana Loeb is a flute teacher and co-owner of L & L Music-Wind Shop. She was kind enough to take time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions for this month’s newsletter.
1. Who is your favorite composer?
2. What is your favorite classical piece?
Mozart’s Flute Concerto in G major
3. What instrument did you start playing?
4. If you were an instrument, what would you be?
5. Is there anything you want to do as a musician that you haven’t done yet?
There are two; I want to perform a solo concerto with an orchestra accompaniment and perform a solo flute recital.